Choosing Domain Names
Hints & Tips
We've put together a few expert hints and tips to help you choose which domains to register, whether they are personal or professional web addresses.
- Your domain name (web address) can be between 3 and 67 characters long.
- Domain names are not case sensitive.
- Hyphens can help make a domain easier to read i.e. www.your-domain.co.uk
- Should your preferred domain name be already taken, our domain name search tool will provide you with a choice of great alternatives.
- It's a good idea to register similar domains. For example, if you've already registered yourdomain.co.uk you could also register yourdomain.com and yourdomain.eu to ensure that no one else takes them.
- You could register the same domain but include common spelling mistakes and typing errors to capture as large an audience as possible.
- With Web Pro IT, you can make savings on your hosting costs by forwarding several domain names to the same website.
How will I know which domain extension is the right one for me?
Different domain name extensions suit different purposes, For example, if your website or business is aimed at a UK audience, it makes more sense to choose .co.uk for your website address.
If you want your website to have international exposure, consider registering the same domain name with .eu and .com extensions. In fact, securing your domains with as many available extensions as possible is the best way to reach the widest audience!